Julian CA, located in the beautiful San Diego backcountry, is known for fantastic seasonal activities targeted towards tourists from Southern California. Some of these activities include apple picking through century old orchards, hunting in the San Diego County mountains, vineyard and farm tours, historic gold mine tours and camping around Lake Cuyamaca, but what do the Julian locals like to do? Here’s a list of great things to do in Julian CA as well as local community services, clubs, groups and regular community meetings.
The Local’s Guide to Julian, California Attractions and Activities
As a seasonal Southern California mountain town, Julian has plenty of things to do for both families and adults year-round. Here are a few of the lesser-known activities in Julian CA – if you want to read up on more typical Julian events and activities, check out our blogs on Julian Apple Picking in September, Lake Cuyamaca Camping, and tours of the pear and apple orchards.
4th of July Parade
Julian Picnic Sites
One of the best parts about living in Julian is getting to experience the beautiful scenery and mild weather year-round. You’ll find many Julian residents out on the trails, at parks and local grounds enjoying a picnic or barbecue. Here are the popular state parks and picnic grounds in the area.
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park – 14674 CA-79, Julian, CA 92036
- Fort Cross Old Timey Adventures – 4425 Hwy 78, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070
- Inaja Memorial Picnic Ground – 30829 CA-79, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070
- Jess Martin County Park – 2955 Highway 79, Julian, CA 92036
- William Hese Park – 4945 Heise Park Rd, Julian, CA 92036
Boating, Hiking, Horseback Riding in Julian
The town of Julian is nestled in the Peninsular Mountain Ranges making it perfect for nearby hiking, biking and horseback riding. All these great trails are very accessible with Volcan Mountain to the North and Mt. Laguna to the South. In between the two is Lake Cuyamaca State Park, a popular location for boating and fishing. Integrity Stables is a popular locale for horseback riding, lessons, trails and horse leases. Looking to buy a horse property for sale? Contact us and we’d be happy to help you find the perfect place.
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park – 14674 CA-79, Julian, CA 92036
- Volcan Mountain Wilderness Preserve – 1209 Farmer Road, Julian, CA 92036
- Laguna Mountain Wilderness Preserve – Monument Peak Rd, Mt Laguna, CA 91948
- Horseback Riding – P.O. Box 1841, Julian, CA 92036
Julian Hiking Challenge
June 14, 2021 – March 4, 2022
Explore some of Julian’s breathtaking hikes in the Julian Hiking Challenge, 2021 Complete the five hikes listed here as part of the 2021 Hiking Challenge by December 31, 2021.
The Taste of Julian is a local favorite when it comes to “foody” things to do in Julian. This self-guided culinary adventure happens in May every year, allowing patrons to sample Julian restaurants, wineries and breweries for only $25.00. Read more about the event here.
June 12, 2021 – SOLD OUT
Spas, Wellness and Fitness Centers
Interested in a bit of self care? Julian has you covered when it comes to fitness, yoga, wellness, barbers and salons. You’ll find your new favorite barber or stylist right here in Julian!
- Julian Fitness Center – 2216 Main St, Julian, CA 92036 (760) 765-1576
- Julian Yoga – 4367 Highway 78, Santa Ysabel, Ca 92070 (310) 770-2998
- Backcountry Barber & Beauty – 1933 Main Street, Julian, CA 92036
- Julian Mountain Spa – 2122 Main Street, Ste. C, Julian
- Ohana Health and Wellness Services – by appointment: 951-581-2231
- Soul of Touch – by appointment: (619) 894-4507
- Wisdom Within – by appointment: (760) 310-8974
- San Diego Spiritual Retreat Center – 5049 CA-78, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070
- Julian Storm Academy of Martial Arts – Julian Elementary School, Julian, CA 92036
- Inner North Star – by appointment: 619-643-5694
Live Music in Julian, California!
We can’t talk about Julian events and activities without mentioning Live music! You’ll find bands playing throughout the Julian backcountry area from Julian Beer Co. and Volcan Mountain Winery to Cafe Aroma and Wynola Pizza & Bistro. Keep your eye’s out for Bree Jones Band from our very own – Donn Bree!
Live Music and Events in Julian 2021
- Heroes Pizza at Wynola- Thursdays, 6-8; Fridays & Saturdays 6-9 bands/musicians
- The Cooler at Julian Station has music ongoing
- Julian Beer Co: Music every Saturday
- Jeremy’s on the Hill – reopening June 11th, will feature live music
First Friday at Julian Station is back! The first Friday of each month starting Friday, June 4th, Happy Hour 5-6pm, open mic jam 6-9pm
Julian Station – various artists – every Sunday 1-4pm
The Cooler at Julian Station – Karaoke every Sunday 6-9pm – music Friday or Saturday evenings TBD
- Volcan Mountain Winery with intermittent shows. Confirmed dates: June 19th, 20th, July 3rd
Local Meetings & Community Clubs
Some of the best things to do in Julian include getting involved with the local clubs and communities. Whether you are looking for family or adult-oriented groups, Julian has plenty of great clubs and organized meetings to help get you involved with the local happenings.
Julian Basketball (JYB)
- (623) 238 – 1545
Julian Woman’s Club
- Date: Meets on the 1st Wednesday of the Month at 1 PM
- Board Meeting: 3rd Wednesday of the month at 10 AM is the board meeting
- Location: 2607 C Street, Julian, CA 92036
Julian Triangle Club
- Date: January / March / May / July / September & November on the 2nd Monday of the Month at 6 PM
- Location: The Julian Women’s Club
- The Lions Club is an international non-political service organization established in 1916. It has over 46,000 local clubs and more than 1.7 million members.
- Date & Location: 2nd Thursday of the Month at the Town Hall at 7 PM
- Date & Location: 4th Thursday of the Month at Poncho Villas at 7 PM
Julian Arts Chorale
- Date: Mondays at 6 PM
- Visit Julian Arts Guild for info
Live Poet’s Society
- Date: Meets the 1st Thursday of the Month at 6 PM
- Location: Julian Library
Friends of the Julian Library Board Meetings
- Date: Usually the 1st Friday of the Month at 9 AM
- Location: Julian Library Community Room
- Date: The 3rd Wednesday of the Month at 12:30 PM
- Location: Julian Elementary School
Julian Bible Club
- Date: Tuesdays 5:30 – 7 PM for Ages 4 -12
- Including: Games, songs, bible verses, yummy snacks
- Location: Hillside Church
Camp Julian Oaks Youth Group
- Date: Tuesdays at 6 PM at the Julian Oaks Camp
- Date: Every other Friday at Hillside Church
- For: Junior High & High School Age
Santa Ysabel / Julian 4-H Club
- Date: First Monday of the month at 6PM
- Location: Wynola Pizza & Bistro in the Red Barn
We hope we gave you some ideas of what to do in Julian, CA. Want to join the Julian community? Look at our Julian land for sale and speak with an agent today! We will be happy to show you around and give you other ideas of things to do in Julian.