Our farmland for sale throughout California includes large plots, expansive parcels, small, casual hobby farming plots with accompanying home and organic farms and agricultural structures. Scroll down to browse exclusive farms for sale in San Diego. We represent the sale of farmland by individuals as well as larger, industrial types of properties.
When searching for farmland for sale in California, it’s important to consider the accompanying infrastructure and accommodations – for instance, irrigated farmland for sale will require a price premium compared to undeveloped or abandoned farmland for sale. Here’s what to look for in farms for sale in California.
San Diego Farms for Sale
There’s an estimated 2 million farms in existence throughout the United States. According to the San Diego Farm Bureau, San Diego is the 19th largest farm economy by county in the nation with more small farms that any other county. More than 5000 farmers live in the San Diego county tending to a quarter of a million acres – feeding in to the 5th largest industry in the county. Avocado farms, orchards and vineyards are particularly popular in San Diego county locations like Fallbrook, Julian and Ramona. Here’s a graphic compliments of SD FarmBureau.
Tips for Buying Farmland in California
California has one of the highest farm real estate values in the United States (see chart from USDA below). This makes the cost of buying farmland in California very high initially. This figure alone, however, does not necessarily indicate the true cost of farmland affordability. According to the 2017 National Young Farmer Survey, 75% of young farmers (age 35 and younger), are first-generation farmers. The vast majority of these (80%+), operate farms smaller than 100 acres and about half operate farms of 10 acres or less. In California, only 27% of these survey respondents own the land they farm on making it difficult to make long term investment and practice beneficial long-term ecosystem management practices. While multigenerational farmers are in decline, there are many financial, social and professional benefits to working a farm with family.
Land and Farm Real Estate Values by State
- Determine a realistic budget you’ll need to support yourself and your farm. Think about how you will generate income on your farm and how long it will take before that stream begins producing. Map out a timeline for your agribusiness.
- Research the areas that support the type of farming you’d like to to and make sure that the land there supports it. Also look to neighboring communities and local resources for support. Will you be interested in all or exclusively organic farms in San Diego County
- Have an open mind about different farmland options to buy and the timetable for when you can make a purchase. You may be able to find farmland for lease in California to build you business while you save to buy farmland or lease-to-own farmland.
- Will you need a residence on-site? Farmhouses in San Diego County can vary greatly based on zoning, price and location.
- Work with a brokerage that provides agricultural loans. They can help you find eligible land, identify existing farm land for sale and help you get approved with competitive rates/quotes from several different lender.
Investing in Farmland For Sale
If you are looking for San Diego agricultural land or agri land for sale beyond San Diego County, let us know and we would be happy to help you find farmland for sale in northern California and other regions in the state. Over a third of the country’s vegetables and two thirds of the country’s fruits and nuts are grown in California. The potential for agricultural development in California is well known and parcels of varied size, location and development are constantly entering the real estate market. Following the prolonged drought (over 7 years) in California, farmland property values were on the decline and abandoned farms were available for sale. Abundant precipitation and cooler temperatures since 2017 has helped end the drought. We expect agricultural properties that depend on water to appreciate in value as a response to this recent rainfall. We know Farmland land for sale, let us help you find your next farm.
Fun on the Farm in Julian, CA
Featured Farmland For Sale in California
Nestled in the heart of Southern California’s pristine San Diego County Mountains, the Oak Ridge Stock Farm spans over...
Lot Size610+/- Acres
Situated on 44+/- acres, Rancho Cerca Del Cielo presents an exceptional opportunity for farming enthusiasts, agricultural entrepreneurs, or families...
- Sq Ft2346
- Lot Size44.17 Acres
Discover Ballena Vista Farm: Where Legacy, Luxury and Lifestyle Converge. Nestled in the picturesque landscapes of the Ramona Valley...
- Sq Ft4672
- Lot Size170 Acres
Step into a world where the spirit of the American West comes to life at Star B Ranch, home...
- Sq Ft3800
- Lot Size590 Acres
Located high atop historic Mesa Grande, one of Southern California’s most coveted rural lifestyle locales, lies a wealth of...
- Sq Ft3251
- Lot Size151.07 Acres